Sunday, June 12, 2016

First Stop: HMD 259 Expectations

HMD 259 - Human Resources Management in the Hospitality Industry

Human resources is one of the most important department in the hospitality industry. All the employees of the establishment comes from this department. This department decides who gets to serve the guests of the company. However, the HR also deals with employee benefits, disputes, and essentially anything that deals with an employee's whole duration at the company. 

Signing up for the class, I was not really sure what to expect. I just knew that HR deals with hiring and firing people. However, after the first week of class, I realized it was much, MUCH more than that. 

HR may not necessarily be the department that I want to go into. However, if I really reached my dreams of becoming a chef or opening my own restaurant, I know I will have to deal with HR quite a bit whether I want to or not. 

By the end of this class, I want to be able to more efficiently hire employees as well as deal with my current employees. In general, I want more knowledge about the industry under my belt. As of right now, I am only going off of the work experiences that I have had in the past. While that is very helpful and definitely relevant, I want to know more of the "book definition" that will help me advance in the industry. 

Here is a video of "10 questions that you should ask your employer" that I found on Forbes that I think is quite helpful and is relevant to this course: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsmith/2013/07/05/30-questions-you-should-and-shouldnt-ask-in-a-job-interview/#58acb9e65c54. It does not only give you the questions that you should ask to show your interest in the company as well as your professionalism, it also gives you the reason why they are good questions.  

No comments:

Post a Comment